Open Burn Permits

Open Burn permits

Safe Burning Starts Here

Open Burn Permits are required by state law in California, from the local air district, to dispose of vegetative material outdoors by open burning. Non-vegetative material may never be burned and barrel burning is prohibited by law. The District provides open burn permits for prescribed burns (habitat management and fire safety), agriculture (engaging in commerce of crop or livestock) and residential.

Warning icon

CAL FIRE has lifted its requirement to get a burn permit -- now you only need an Air District permit. Remember not to burn wet materials - it creates excess smoke and is a violation of District rule.

Icon fire

Application and Payment Options

During COVID-19, the office is closed for public safety. You may apply for your permit by mail or online. Online applicants will receive an electronic copy of their permit by email in 2-4 business days. Complete the online payment application by clicking the button below. Online payment is optional and provided by "GovPay" for credit or debit card and a service charge applies.

Apply Now

Have a Successful Open Burn

Please review your permit before your burn. Burn permits contain District, State, and Fire Safety regulatory requirements. It is strictly prohibited to burn without a permit, to burn on a "no-burn" day, or to burn in a manner that creates excessive smoke. After May 1st, each year, CAL FIRE may require an additional permit from residents in CAL FIRE jurisdiction.

Warning icon

Permit Introduction & Open Burn Checklist

Download the checklist (PDF)


Free Consultation Available

We’re here to help to ensure you have the right permit application. Contact us for a free consultation at 707-433-5911 or airquality@sonoma-county.org. We can also provide bi-lingual support material and field assistance, upon request.